|William GOGDELL||LONDON (U.K.)|
|Wood St., Cheapside||1730 – 1752|
William Cogdell was apprenticed to Robert Wooding in 1721 and was described as from St. Stephens, Hertford. In 1730 was admitted to Joiners’ Company and from 1731 to 1751 was steward of Joiners’ Company. Took as apprentices John Cogdell (1741) and Thomas Tidd (1744).
Planes marked with the large “W. COGDELL” mark are considered as very rare, as only a handful are known. These are between 10-1/8″ and 10-1/4″ long. The smaller mark consists of the surname without the initial and dates from at least 1738. These planes are quite common, considering the period in which they were made, and range in length from 9-7/8″ to 10″, with a few at 10-1/8″. This would tend to indicate a somewhat substantial business.
At least two planes, both wide moulding planes bearing the later mark, are reported as having an unusual feature in that the shoulder is completely flat and is finished with a small ovolo moulding on the outside edge. This ovolo is approximately 1/4″ wide. However, it is interesting to note that a completely flat shoulder is a feature that would appear some 200 years or so later on some of the larger Mathieson planes of the late 19th century.